All families need a night out at one time or another. As parents know, this is not always the easiest feat with small children. Even the most well-behaved child is capable of a tantrum or excited squeal. Can you blame them? I, as an adult, want to squeal excitedly when I finally get to go out to eat. Don’t worry I won’t, but I want to. Restaurants have to have the right atmosphere, food, and price range for families and other restaurant guests (sitting near the families) to have an enjoyable time. I’ve compiled a list of my family’s favorite restaurants to take your children to for a nice meal out here in St. Augustine.
- Mellow Mushroom – with a laid back atmosphere and an amazing kids menu this restaurant is at the top of our list. I love that the kids entrees come with a fruit or veggie on the side, and all the food is delicious. Seriously, I sneak a few bites of my kid’s food when we come here. Although the atmosphere is laid back, it is still very nice, and we love the eclectic decor.
- Creekside Dinery – Although this restaurant is a little pricier, and they do not have a dedicated kids menu, it is definitely family-friendly. They do have a section of light meals on their menu for children and others that don’t want a full portion. This restaurant made the list because of the atmosphere. They have a large outdoor deck with live music and dancing (to drown out the children’s noises). They also have an outdoor fire pit that you can order smores kits for the kids and yourself. The food is to die for. If you are looking for a restaurant to go to for a special occasion, but you still need to bring the kids, this is the one you should choose.
- Cap’s On the Water – This restaurant is also perfect for a special occasion that children will attend. They have seating outside on the deck overlooking the water. Cap’s at sunset is gorgeous, and they have a dedicated kids menu. You can take the kids for strolls down on the beach below the deck if they start to get a little antsy.
- Gas Full Service Restaurant – What kid doesn’t love a good burger? Gas is located near downtown, so it’s perfect for a yummy meal before a stroll along the lions bridge. They have the best burgers ever, in my opinion.
- Mojo Old City BBQ – I spent half of my childhood growing up in North Carolina. I can say that Mojo’s is authentic Carolina BBQ. It is some of the best BBQ I have ever had in my life. They have a great kids menu that comes with huge portions and have outdoor seating just in case your little ones are feeling a little louder than usual.
- Metro Diner – If you are craving some good old southern diner food or breakfast food, this is the place to go. They have a great kids menu and serve pretty much anything you may be craving. Everything I’ve ordered is fantastic, and the servers make you feel like family as soon as you enter.
- Salt Life – This restaurant has beautiful second story views of St. Augustine Beach, and they also have a great kids menu. My kids love looking at their one-of-a-kind fish tank. They will also come pick you up from your house and take you to the restaurant if you live near them on the island for free.
- The Hyppo – The Hyppo is a hot spot in St. Augustine for sure. A great lunch place with a couch area where you can sit and keep the kids occupied with board games. They also have incredible gourmet popsicles to end your lunch.
- Mango Mango’s – If you are looking for a Caribbean style beach restaurant with the kids, this is your place. They have a good kids menu, and you are in close proximity to the beach, so you can go for a stroll after dinner to burn the off the calories (and let the kids energy out).
- Casa Maria – My children love Mexican food. They go to town on the chips and salsa, and they love everything on the kids menu. This is the epitome of a family restaurant. Everyone is so kind when you go here and the laid back atmosphere paired with an affordable menu makes this a frequented place for my family.
There are so many good restaurants in St. Augustine! It was tough to narrow down this list to only ten. What is your favorite local restaurant to take the whole family?