Happy Watermelon Day!
Move over pineapple it’s August 3rd, Watermelon Day! Watermelon season starts in May and runs through September, but peaks during mid-June to late August. Did you know that watermelons came from Southern Africa? Or that it’s made up of 92% water and filled with healthy electrolytes. Watermelon is considered a nutrient dense food with a high amount of vitamins, mineral and antioxidants. My kids love eating watermelons all summer long. Here are my tips on how to pick the perfect watermelon and my favorite way to cut a watermelon for my kids.
5 Tips for Picking the Perfect Watermelon
- A ripe watermelon will have a yellow, cream colored ground spot. (if the spot is white, it’s not ready yet)!
- When you pick up the watermelon it should be heavier than it looks.
- Give it the “Thump” test, if it sounds hollow it’s ripe.
- Your watermelon should be as hard as a Rock! If you can squeeze it, then put it back.
- Look for brown lines or spot. This is where the bees have pollinated the watermelon, making it sweeter.
How to Cut Watermelon Sticks in 4 Easy Steps!
Cut your watermelon in half. Place the watermelon halves down.
Cut 1-inch strips across from one side to the other.
Turn and cut 1-inch strips from the other side.
Now you have your watermelon sticks.
What’s your favorite watermelon recipe??